LED is the acronym for Light Emitting Diode. This type of diode has notable characteristics. They come in small size and collectively they give off light. LEDs find application in lighting systems like lamps, bulbs, digital timers and watches, remote control systems, electronic devices and appliances, in growing plants and flowers, and many other ways. It owes to its small packaging that makes it fit into small devices and circuitry. The lifespan of LEDs are relatively longer compared with other light sources and they are highly efficient light source. Applications of LEDs can be both with commercial or personal purposes. Like for example, in households where one desires to grow plants, he can use LEDs as light source. Also in areas where there is not enough sunlight, the light emitted by LEDs are good replacement as light source. Based on findings, the light coming from LEDs can boost the growth of plants indoors since the artificial light from the LEDs can support photosynthesis. Other areas where LEDs find application are in lighting automobiles, bicycles, railroads, night lights, strip lights, flash lights, billboard lights, Christmas lights, stage lights, traffic lights and many more. It is due to their multi-faceted application that makes them globally applied, aside from the fact that one can save a lot of money and the environment as well.
Advantages Of LED
• Efficiency – the photo synthetically active radiation (PAR) which is emitted by LED produces better efficiency and results especially in applications of growing plants indoors. The lights coming from the LED accelerate the growth of plants due to the fact that the wavelength of the light emitted by the device is ideal for growing plants since plants require specific wavelengths of light necessary for photosynthesis. Studies show that the bulbs that emit white light which were used before as traditional artificial light can prevent the growth of plants, and the same is true with incandescent lamps or bulbs. With incandescent lamps, almost 80% heat is produced instead of light which can be harmful to growing plants. But with LED, however, optimal results can be attained by balancing the right spectrum of red and blue light. That is why LED flowering grow lights is widely used instead of white and incandescent bulbs.
• Energy Conservation – LEDs are efficient and conserve energy. The more than 75% energy saved by the LEDs help preserve and protect the environment in an indirect manner. As compared with HID lights, LEDs only consumes half. Approximately, LEDs use up only 100 watts of power and they last longer, up to 50 times longer, than those traditional white lamps and lights. Usually, the device lasts up to seven years which is a great deal of savings, both with energy consumption and the cost of replacement. That is perhaps the reason why LEDs are widely used and preferred for domestic use.
• Less Heat – LEDs dissipate less heat as compared with HID lamps. The effect of this is that the growing plants would not be subjected to too much heat and as a result, no frequent watering is needed, thus saving water and the environment indirectly. Also, less heat dissipated means that the cooling system would not be taxed to make the room cooler, thereby reducing the system costs for cooling the room. LEDs are ideal for growing plants with high-humidity requirement.
• Zero Noise – Unlike fluorescent lamps which make buzzing sound when turned on, LEDs are silent when turned on. This is another advantage of LEDs over other lighting systems as no unnecessary and unwanted sounds are produced.
• Cycling and On/Off Action – LEDs can be switched on and off in a matter of microseconds. These on and off action would not shorted the life of LEDs as compared to HID lamps and fluorescent bulbs which are known to be a little cranky when subjected to cycling on and off action and sometimes have trouble restarting. This makes LEDs a great choice for growing plants as the device can be turned on and off with ease without breaking it.
• No External Damage and Deterioration – one characteristic of LEDs is shock resistance. Unlike HID lamps and fluorescent bulbs which can easily break when subjected to shock, LEDs are not fragile. When fluorescent bulbs are broken, there is danger to humans and environment as they contain toxic materials. LEDs do not contain such toxic materials. LEDs just dim slowly, a characteristic called “slow-failure” which is ideal as compared to sudden burning out of light bulbs.
• Multi-utilitarian Quality – LEDs consume less energy, come in smaller packages, and maintenance cost less. Those qualities make LED lights as multi-utilitarian device. Also, it can be used in a wide variety of applications such as light indicators, illumination, visual signaling, remote controls, motion sensors like that of an optical mouse, and many other. Wireless mouse, for example, functions on radiation received due to the LED lights (usually red and blue are used). LED lights are also used as light source for systems such as vision and theater.
• Wide Variety – Diodes come in different types. There are Flashing Light Emitting Diodes, Bi-color LEDs, Tri-color LEDs, RGB LEDs, Alphanumeric LED, and many other kinds. Each of the aforementioned type has its corresponding feature and characteristic which can be led grow lights with reasonable price.
With the numerous manufacturers of LEDs, one must be aware and beware of low quality LEDs in order to get the maximum advantage of the device. Always go for products which are comparatively higher than those that comes in cheap price tag but the warranty and the company that manufacture the same is in question, or unknown. Remember that LEDs lasts for a longer period of time even under extreme conditions, but it pays to look for the best quality LEDs in order to avoid future problems and regrets. These best led grow lights are used to maximize the growth of plants at low cost with high effectiveness.